This is a subject that I have broached several times only to be met with
either incredulous silence or very vocal protests.  I still see the value
for exactly the reason you stated...our students do not receive all their
information from print.  The two main reasons given for not allowing
students to check out videos are:

1) videos are expensive
2) teachers want to use them in the classroom and don't want the kids to
have already seen them or to have them unavailable when they want to use
them.

I don't believe either of these arguments are sufficiently valid, but
have not convinced other librarians and teachers.  Books are often as or
more expensive than many videos, for example.  As for exclusivity, I see
a real value in repetition.  We all know, as well, that students and
teachers both watch movies, tv shows, etc multiple times without
complaint.  If there is information to be gained, it seems to me that
multiple viewings would be extremely desirable.  I hope to see this
discussion carried out in this forum.  Thanks for bringing it up!

Cheryl

        Cheryl Bybee, Director of Library Services --  Northside ISD
        6632 Bandera Road, Bldg. D              San Antonio, TX 78238
                        (210)522-8190     cbybee@tenet.edu