 Yesterday, while driving in my car and listening to a local call-in program
 re: computer use, I heard that there was a legal case lost
 (somewhere--sorry I couldn't take notes while driving) where an individual
 had sued someone for publishing his picture in a detrimental way.  The
 ruling went something like this:  Because this individual had published a
 photo of himself on the WWW, he became a public figure at that time and,
 therefore, had lost his right to privacy!  Chilling, isn't it!!??

 I feel this really needs to be looked into.  If there is anything to
 this, we, as educators, could cause real damage to our students by using their
 photos on the Web.  As minors, they would probably be protected in some
 ways; however, some of our students on the secondary level turn eighteen
 before they graduate.  Also, we really need to know for our own benefit
 in case we should decide to publish photos of ourselves.

 Legal issues seem more important to me now.  I'd really appreciate
 hearing more about this from others with interest or more information.

LM_NET Archive Home