Hi Everyone,
        Hope that you are all having a great school year so far.
        Several of our elementary schools have circulating video
collections.  For the past 3 years I had such a collection at my
elementary school.  I have just moved to a new elem. which does not have
one, but I  am considering establishing it.
        I had a system which worked very well for me.  Videos were
checked out to 3-5th graders for overnight viewing.  At the start of the
school year, parents signed a permission slip allowing their student to
check out videos and agreeing to replacement cost and a fine for each day
overdue.  I had a collection of about 130 titles - most literature
related - and I housed them on a large rolling cart (it was expensive but
well worth the cost).  Each day students who had previously obtained
parental permission were able to check out videos the last 20 minutes of
school.  That's when the cart was rolled out.  Since there were too many
students in those grades to have in the media center all at one time, I
had a schedule which rotated through the week so that each day 1 each of
the 3rd, 4th and 5th grades came in for checkout.  I also had 5th grade
video aides who helped with the checkout.  The videos were taken out of
their cardboard boxes and put into hard cases and the date due stamped.
        I had very few problems and only 2 or 3 videos lost.  The program
was very popular.
        Hope that this helps the discussion.  Sunnie

Sunnie Tait
Wines Elementary
Ann Arbor, Mi

LM_NET Archive Home