        We have a school library here in Indiana seeking advice.  They
would like to open the library to the community at large and would
appreciate comments from any knowledgeable individuals with experience doing
so.
        Although this is all still in the discussion stage, my
understanding is that the kinds of things they would like to do include
having extended hours; allowing anyone with a card from the local public
library to also enter, browse, and check materials out directly from the
school library; and providing other selected services and resources to the
community.
        Has anyone been doing this?  Are there positive examples of this
they can reference for guidance?  Are there any not-so-obvious pitfalls
they should be careful to avoid?
        Please direct any pertinent e-mail to me, and I will see that the
information is forwarded to the interested individuals.
        Thank you.

John W. Shearin
Office of Learning Resources
Indiana Dept. of Education