Many people asked if I would post a hit for this so here it is:

Kindergarten and lst grade:
Most people suggested that I go over the media center rules for the first two
weeks-book care,  library procedures/rules, circulation procedures.  It was
suggested that I find ways to learn the children's names.  Practically
everyone recommended that I read a story.  Suggested stories were Mr Wiggle
Goes to the Library and Mr. Wiggle's Book (both are available through
Highsmith), Quiet There's a Canary in the Library by Don Freeman, The Very
Hungry Cricket by Eric Carle,  and What Do You Do Dear (a book about
manners.)  Some people suggested telling stories using puppets (e.g. The
Monkey and the Crocodile).

2nd and 3rd grades:

Here again both grades will need a review of rules.  One person recommended a
bookmark/poster contest for the rules.  Other suggestions included discussion
of call numbers, parts of book, fiction and nonfiction.  One person was lucky
enough that she will be able to start teaching the children how to use an
online catalog.  One person said she read Tom Tit Tot (an English version of
Rumpelstilskin) and she had a discussion of the similarities and differences.

4th, 5th and 6th grades:

Scavenger hunts and review of rules were widely recommended.  One person said
that the teachers wanted her to jump right into almanacs so that was what she
did.  Others said to make sure the children knew how to use the card catalog,
encyclopedia, etc.

I can't begin to thank everyone who took the time out to help me.  The
supportive atmosphere on LM_NET is overwhelming.  I synthesized all the
had a lot of fun preparing the scavenger hunts.  Lots of warm fuzzies to all
of you-

Marjorie Schor
mjschor@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home