Good day to all!

I would like to ask anyone who has made the leap from school to public
librarianship to respond and tell me if they think the leap was a good
one, i.e. what do you miss and not miss, what is better or worse.

I am currently the librarian for a great school whose population
fluctuates from 1000 to 1300 kids during the year. Our highly transient
population is due to the proximity of a miltiary base. I love the kids,
their stories and the interaction. But I wish I had more time to do the
librarian stuff. I would far rather be too busy than looking for stuff to
do though. Since I also write a weekly column of children's short stories
of interest to our island kids, I KNOW I will miss the interaction with
them and the constant source of new ideas.

I am about to go to the public system which is in bad need of a
children's librarian. They just hired their first trained librarian this
past year to run the place. We intend to hire three more people and then
begin Project Lazarus! It's a beautiful building and a horrible collection.

I AM going to go, but I just wanted to hear from others who have made 'the
leap.'  TIA
--
Slainte! May today bring a great new story for your repetoire!
T.K.Cassidy, MLIS -- Guam Talebearers; president/cofounder

LM_NET Archive Home