I'm sorry to post to the list, but lost the address of the person who asked
about suggestions for helping introduce automation programs into libraries
which have no professionally trained librarians. I hope it might offer some
thoughts for others.

I have been working with three elementary school libraries (by the end of the
year it will be 5) to help them automate, all are run by aides, non of whom
have had any formal training in library proceedures. They are all three
intelligent, dedicated people.  We are automating with Alexandria.

Early on I bought a Zip drive for each library, originally to save the
records from our in-house retroconversion.

Now when we get together to share insights, learn new steps in the process,
share and solve problems, each school can bring its own records on the Zip
drive,  work on those records, and carry the product of those work sessions
back to each library.

Getting together to work has been a real boost to our spirits, and sharing
insights has built a group who support one another and improve learning for
all of us.

I also spend quite a bit of time preparing guide sheets for the aides which
are more detailed than the manual which comes with Alexandria, which
addresses the problems which affect us particurlarly.  We are also working on
a proceedures manual which will stay in each library.

We're working hard, having fun, and it's been very exciting.

Helen Seagraves   Hood River, OR   Hcgraves@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home