Dear LM-NETTERS,

Here is the HIT promised on high school reading incentives:

Advised to get Electronic bookshelf or Accelerated Reader computer programs
 by 5 respondents. Some were using these products with support in English
 classes; some used incentives from Burger King or savings bonds with the
 computer programs; one person planned to use a computer program and
 a silent reading time every week.

"Catch you reading program" where kids caught reading got coupons from
  fast food restaurants. No coupon for reading during classes. Monthly
  silent reading time. Also does bookfair.

One school is trying silent reading program, but having some problems with
 it.

Another librarian has an English teacher who has a reader's workshop once a
   week, and she does a lot of booktalking.

One school reports a required reading program for grades 9-12 so that each
  student is required a book per grading period. Books come from a list of
  books that have tests from a vendor.

Apparently there was a good session at AASL with people from Carmel HS
 in Carmel, Indiana, where they have tried to set up a school environment
 that encourages reading: sustained silent reading, reader's advisory program,
 a class for individual reading as an elective credit, support from
 the English department and booktalks from the librarians.

Another school suggests using food coupons from pizza places, etc.

All in all I received less than 12 responses, but I do have food for thought.

Thanks to everyone who replied, and best of luck as we all try to get them
reading.

Dana Pope
popeda@heidelberg-emh2.army.mil

LM_NET Archive Home