        I have listened to this on-going debate and can no longer stay out
of it. There is no doubt that all points of view need to be represented in
libraries and schools, but we are scrambling apples and oranges.
Creationism and science are not the same process. Creationism is based upon
religious beliefs which can not be tested by the process of hypothesis and
experiemnt. In addition creationism also only represents one religious set
of beliefs. We live in a multicultural nation where all religious beliefs
are to be respected. No single set of religious beliefs should dominate any
other.
        If schools want to offer classes in how religions explain the
creation of the universe, I believe that is a great idea. But Creationist
books should stay with religious books.

Bill Wallace
Cybrarian
Manzano Day School
Albuquerque, NM
mds@rt66.com

>Date:    Mon, 1 Apr 1996 23:09:11 -0500
>From:    Louise Hurst <LHurst1054@AOL.COM>
>Subject: Re: Oxymoron on LM_NET
>
>Come on people!  Don't be so smug and overconfident.  Libraries exist to
>represent ALL points of view, not just liberal ones.  I take great care to
>purchase materials representing both evolution and creationism.  We're not
>here to judge; let's just provide the information, and let our patrons make
>up their own minds.
>
>Louise Hurst
>Callahan Middle School
>Callahan, FL