Of the 14 responses I've received with suggestions for good Native
American history books for grades 3-6, 8 recommend the "New True"
series published by Childrens Press-- 32 books organized by tribe,
about 3rd grade reading level.  3 recommend Rourke's "Native
American People" series, 4 sets of 6 volumes each, also organized
by tribe (reading level 5-6); these have a 1989 copyright.  2
people like the Franklin Watts series.  1 recommends, while
another is disappointed by, the Chelsea House series.
        1 person recommended the Lerner series "We are Still Here:
Native Americans Today," as being "up-to-date, authentic, and
respectful of Native cultures."  Another recommended the Holiday
House books on specific tribes written by Virginia Driving Hawk
Sneve, as well as Diane Hoyt-Goldsmith's "Cherokee Summer" and
"Pueblo Storyteller" (also Holiday House).
        Hope this is helpful to some of you.
##

--
Dory Griffin