Hi Folks,

        Just a thought before I get to the real message:  Does anyone
else think that the hardest part of posting to the 'Net is the
salutation?  Or am I the only one who agonizes over how to begin?
        Anyway, here's the latest question, and I'm sorry I forgot a subject
heading:
        We are considering a new social studies text, and have received
copies of Macmillan/McGraw Hill's newest (1997!) copyright.  I'm curious
about what's supposed to be happening in fourth grade.  For years now we've
had no textbook--in fact I can't remember what the last teacher used.  For
two years now, the current teacher is using a New York State  workbook
from DC Heath as the only "book."
        Mac/McG's 4th grade text is _Regions_, with a section in
the back called "Your State."  I was thinking it would be nice if this
text was also "state-specific," but I'm not sure.  The sample has a nice spread
on Colorado.
        So, what's my question?  Am I so far behind in our little school
that no one knows what's supposed to be taught in fourth grade?  Are your
schools doing NYS and local history only, or have you broadened your scope?
What's happening out in the real world?
        BTW, in the Houghton Mifflin 1996 catalog on the social studies
price list pages, right under New Jersey in the state-specific section
is "Newark."
        I'll stop here.  Thanks for any input.

Kathy Hintz                     Hintz@vaxa.sunycgcc.edu
Librarian, Etc.
St. Patrick's School
Catskill, NY                    The Land of Rip Van Winkle
                                (I know, I know.  It's type-casting) :)

LM_NET Archive Home