Write to the Pentagon, starting with your local naval recruiter.  They
know an amzing amount and just LOVE to be helpful....they are nice guys,
usually.  After a friend's father died, we asked the recruiter what all
the battle ribbons meant:  he knew every single one  and also told us
where to write to learn his service record; the man refused to tell his
kids about this while alive.  Also. there are usually some good books in
public libraries about the various navy ships, and it will pop up there
somewhre (even I have heard of this ship).  Happy researching.

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Janet Hofstetter wrote:

> I have a student looking for what happened to the WW II ship USS
> Bonhomme Richard (named after the famous Civil War ship).  His
> grandfather served on it and he has lots of memorabilia found in his
> late grandfather's things--he wants to know what became of the
> ship...scrapped?  Rebuilt?  In port somewhere?  I think he would like
> to go see it if it is still afloat.
>
> We've tried the Net and yellow pages for sites with no luck.  Someone
> told us the Pentagon might have a record but we haven't found a
> Pentagon site.  If anyone has *any* info on the ship or a suggestion
> for helping us find info, please respond to me directly.
>
> TIA

> Janet Hofstetter, librarian
> California High School       email: jsr001@mail.connect.more.net
> 1501 W. Buchanan               jhofstetter@admin.california.mo.us
> California, MO 65018         voice/fax: (314)796-8256
> The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it.

LM_NET Archive Home