On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Judy Stewman wrote:

>      Since few read for pleasure, I'm happy the teachers assign book
> reports, but I miss finding books to suit the student. There are so

I think this is exactly why all of our teachers use class sets of books.
When I was in the classroom 15 years ago I knew that when I made a "book
report" assignment, the readers would do it, the non-readers would
summarize the book cover. That is why I began using class sets in my
school. (Actually, it was more like 20 or 25 years ago.)  I just got
tired of reading reports when I knew the student had not read the book.

At least with a class set a teacher can discuss the book with the entire
class and even test them on occasion. Of course, with AR and EBS more
teachers may be willing to assign a variety of outside reading.

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home