Boy, Betty...do I ever!  What a good argument...just the practice involved
would be such a wonderful improvement.  I have always been convinced (and
I believe research supports it) that kids who read a lot are the ones who
do well on all tests of verbal skills--grammar, usage, spelling, etc.  It
may be just too logical to be appreciated, I suppose.
        Cheryl Bybee, Director of Library Services --  Northside ISD
        6632 Bandera Road, Bldg. D              San Antonio, TX 78238
                        (210)522-8190     cbybee@tenet.edu
On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Betty Dawn Hamilton wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Cheryl Bybee wrote:
>
> > Absolutely my opinion.  I base this on both my experience with my own
> > children and my experience as a high school librarian.  Teenagers, like
> > many of us, are so strapped for time to do all they want and/or need to
> > do.  I'm afraid it is just a statement of our lives these days.
>
> I agree. Do you suppose this is a strong argument for *scheduling* SSR
> (silent sustained reading) time into the school day?  I would *love* for
> our students to *have* to read for at least 30 minutes. One school here
> in Texas had 55 minutes PER DAY for all students to read.  In HS it was
> SSR, but in the lower grade levels the 55 minutes was divided into being
> read to for a period of time, ssr for a period of time, and "shared"
> reading for a period of time (students reading to each other).
>
> The person who initiated that program was one who argued that if football
> and band can practice daily for 55 minutes (however long class periods
> are), then reading should also be *practiced* that much! A good argument
> I think!
>
> Betty
>                                 .----.
> Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
> bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
> Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
>                                   \     {
>                                     \  }
>                                       ~

LM_NET Archive Home