No, aliteracy is the proper term for what we were talking about.  There
are literate, illiterate, and aliterate persons.  Dr. Kylene Beers
identified three categories of aliterate readers in her doctoral work at
the University of Houston, and she discusses them in the February and
March issues of *School Library Journal*.  They are dormant (like to read
but don't), uncommitted (don't like to read but say they may read in the
future), and unmotivated (don't like to read and don't expect to change
their minds).  Beers discusses early reading experiences that influence
these readers to become aliterate, what can motivate them to read, etc.
Her articles are very informative.

Diane Durbin
dianed@tenet.edu

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Rayna Patton wrote:

> Please...illiteracy.
> Rayna

>    Rayna Patton, Librarian                Marysville Exempted Village Schools
>    Marysville High School                 Voice   513/642-0010
>    800 Amrine Mill Rd                     FAX     513/642-2033
>    Marysville, Ohio  43040                E'Mail  KMV_PATTON@K12.MEC.OHIO.GOV

LM_NET Archive Home