I agree with the last few people who have been saying that teaching the
Dewey system is not the point.  What kids should know is how to use
location codes.  If they do not generalize, they will be floored when
they come across another such as LC at a larger college library.  I
personally use Dewey for my books in the library.  For sound recordings
(I have an extensive LP collection) I use the ANSCAR system.  It makes
much more sense and groups recordings in logical groups.  Students must
learn the principals of location codes - not be taught the "one" system.

Frederick Muller,      Halsted Middle School Library
Librarian              59 Halsted Street               voice (201) 383-7554
fmuller@planet.net     Newton, NJ  07860                 FAX (201) 383-7432

LM_NET Archive Home