Well, I, too, have decided to jump in.  For days and days now, I have
been shaking my head in dismay but thought I would stay "out of the fray"
this time.  Thanks, Diane, Cyd and others for saying it so well.  I have
never seen the point of making students memorize the Dewey
categories.  Do I think it is important that students understand how to
find information?  Of course!!!!  So...I talk about what the numbers
mean...and compare them to a street address for books.  I
point out that every book or video, etc. "lives" where it does for a
reason.  That materials are in neighborhoods with other things that are
somehow similar to them.  It isn't as important that one knows what the
number is as it is important to understand that the number is your
roadmap to locating the materials you need.  Then, I teach students to
find the "address" of a book in the catalog, find the "road signs" posted
on the shelves and signs throughout the library, and they soon understand
that the key is knowing that a) there is a reason for the placement of
materials; b) no matter what library they are in or whether it is Dewey
or LC, one can locate needed materials by matching the information found
in the catalog to the signs and labels posted around the library.  I find
that to be very useful information that will carry over in all library
situations.  Then, these reminders are gone over often...AT POINT OF
NEED...so students will successfully FIND what they need, WHEN they need
it.  Is it ok for kids to memorize Dewey?  Well, I guess so...and I sure
wouldn't mind if students memorized Dewey if they want to.  Of course, I
can't remember in my more than 18 years as a librarian any student who
wanted to do that!  But...in my opinion...knowing that in isolation,
while interesting trivia, is less useful knowledge than understanding the
concept and how to put it to work for you!

Cheryl
        Cheryl Bybee, Director of Library Services --  Northside ISD
        6632 Bandera Road, Bldg. D              San Antonio, TX 78238
                        (210)522-8190     cbybee@tenet.edu