 I agree with you. Memorizing that the 900's are for history and geography
doesn't mean students make the connection to go to that area when they
are looking for a book on a country, war, etc. (At least middle school
don't) I use activities that require "hands on" experience. I've seen an
improvement in the students'ability to use the card catalog,locate that
book on the shelf, and find information in general.

Catherine Purgahn
purgahn@tenet.edu
Groves, TX