Iam wondering if anyone else has read Russell Bank's new book Rule of the
Bone.  It was heavily praised in a column in Booklist last fall as the Catcher
in the Rye for the 90's and I've seen it on Best Book lists for YA's
elsewhere.  I admit I'm only about half way through this novel, but so far I'm
rather put off by the language and the depictions of drug use and sexual
debauchery that are described by the 14 yr. old protagonist.  I understand
that homeless children may very well be experiencing the hellish life the
reader encounters in this book, but so far I don't feel I could defend this
book very enthusiastically, should an offended parent appear at my library. So
I hope to hear from someone who has also purchased the book and how it is
being received in his/her school.
Karen Radtke
Shorewood High School
Shorewood, WI