Please excuse my delay in writing this HIT.

These are some of the ideas people sent me regarding teaching elementary
school grades the automated card catalog.

Most librarians suggested that second graders can handle learning the
catalog on computer.  The biggest drawback was the spelling and
keyboarding skills of the younger grades.  For grades 2-3, the subject
search was the most popular one librarians teach.

Most used an LCD panel or overheads made from snapshots of screen layouts.
Many others recommended talking to small groups using the catalog itself
or having older students demonstrate.

Several people had games they used with the teaching.  Many had relay
races to find title, author or subject searches in the book stacks.
Example:  How many books on whales does our library have?  Do we have the
book Aliens for Dinner? Many had sheets students filled out with author,
copyright information, Dewey number, etc.  Several filled out call slips
and then a group had to find the book and let the librarian see they
found the correct one.  Jellybeans were the reward...

One librarian said she used current curriculum topics and filled out 8-10
cards for groups of three to four to use and find the specific books on
that topic which would interest them anyway.

Most librarians felt that students learn fast and one demonstration is
usually enough.  One thing that was taught was make sure you do not waste
time on the computer station.  ABC method:  About for subject search, By
for author search, Called for title search.  What do you need to know
before you begin search.

Also, many people taught kids and had them teach other kids.  Works well
if those first few caught on fast.  Hands on is the best way.

LM_NET Archive Home