Thank you to everyone who responded to my plea.  In a tribute to
LM_NET, the day after I posted my question I got a call from SIRS,
from a technician who swore his call was not in response to my
posting.  Whatever happened, we fixed it.  The problem seems
connected to our running Novell 4.55 (?), which requires rights to be created
manually for all groups.  Why this was such major problem with no one
able to solve it for so long is itself a mystery.  We're now up, full
text, and everyone (especially the students) is happy.

Thanks again--
Shannon Acedo, Librarian (acedos@marlborough.la.ca.us)
Marlborough School
Los Angeles CA