For all of you who want more information about Quick Picks.
The Quick Picks for Reluctant Young ADult Readers is a committee of the
American Library Association's Young Adults Library Services Association.
A committee of 11 librarians select, each year, those books they deem of
high appeal for reluctant young adult readers.  Young adult age is 12-18;
"reluctant reader" defined as teens who CAN read but for whatever reason,
choose not to.

Committee members get as much teen input as they can to nominate titles
for the list.  (See my article on the process in the June/July issue of
American Libraries)

The final list is available from ALA, and is published in the March 15
issue of Booklist, with annotations.

I post monthly nominations and the entire final list of nominations in
November.  Discussions of the nominated titles and the final vote take
place at committee meetings at Midwinter conference - this year in
Washington DC in February.

I hope this answers all questions - if you need to know more, let me know.

BTW, any members of YALSA may nominate titles for this list.

Sue Rosenzweig, former chair of QP - currently administrative assistant to
the committee
mrosenzw@research1.bryant.edu

LM_NET Archive Home