Dear LM-Netters,  I have a question about personnel and numbers of books
checked out.  We limit check out (with one full time aide, and generally one
adult volunteer each half day) to one book per student with the return of a
book necessary for the check out of another. I have tried to break this
routine in several ways, first opening checkout to another book if one is
needed for an assignment, then two books for fifth graders (which they love,
another "special thing" about being the oldest grade) and an open 20 minutes
at the start and end of each day for "book exchanges."  But I have come to
the conclusion that we physically cannot handle more circulation, even with
the computer system, as I try to leave the clerical part to my staff, and I
feel that I am really taxing them to increase their workload without an
increase in salary.  (or Volunteer thank yous? As it is our volunteers are
few, trained, and usually last several years.)  We have approximately
800-900 books and magazines out every day, and that doesn't include books
and AV materials to teachers (65 professional staff.) Is my staff holding
out on me?  Can we document what circulation to staff ratio is the usual
practise?  I don't think numbers would sway our administration, but they
might help me feel better about our "restrictive" policies.  Thanks,  Ellen

LM_NET Archive Home