Beth,
I have the Columbia system. With it I need to keep the file server close
to the desk because I back up the circulation data daily and the whole
system weekly.
At inventory time it must be close to the circ desk so I can download
inventory data into the file server from the portable psion reader. I
hope this helps you argue your case.
    Nina
Northern Middle School
Hagerstown, MD 21742
nwells@umd5.umd.edu

On Sun, 4 Aug 1996, GBMcCheyne wrote:

> Our school is being wired this summer for our new computer network.
> We are also working on automating the library catalog.  There will be
> a separate file server for the library system (we will be using
> Dynix).  The challenge is that the engineers for the network seem to
> want to put the library file server in the locked closet with the
> network server, even though the librarians want the servers (one for
> the high school and one for the elem. school) in the library offices.
>  I am at the elementary school, and I worry about having to leave the
> library to perform tasks that must be done at the server.  I do not
> want to have to close the library to do these things, nor do I want
> to be forced to do those tasks before or after school forever.
> The last word I got was that "we don't have to decide yet, because
> the library office is within [an acceptable distance] from the
> network file server..... so when the time comes we can put the
> library server in either place ..... just in case you change your
> mind."  This may mean that the librarians do get to choose, but also
> could mean that we're being put off.  So, I'm wondering if those of
> you who have already automated could please send me a note telling
> me:
> 1)  Where is your file server located?
> 2)  Are you happy with this location?
> 3)  What advice would you like to offer us regarding this situation?
>
> Thank you very much in advance - I know I always get excellent help
> from this group!
>
> Beth McCheyne
> K-6 Librarian
> South Seneca Central School