---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 12:59:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: S};iu.4Pn8% <spirkle@tenet.edu>
To: Wolfgram@.MISSING-HOST-NAME., Linda <lwolfgram@BENTON.K12.IA.US>
Subject: Re: TARGET: Paperbacks in collection

Ihave separated my paperbacks from my hardback books because the tiny
books kept falling through the shelves  and getting lost among the bigger
books.  I add PB in front or on top of all the regular call numbers to
let my students know where they are located.  I also put any prebpund
paperbacks in this cataegory.  We are using the Accelerated Reading
Program in our 6-8th grade reading classes and the teachers request more
paperbacks than hardbacks for this program.  Even books that are classics
and come in hardback, we also buy in the preabound paperback format for
this program.  I bought special slanted shelves for these books so that
they don't fall through.  I have about 3,000 paperbacks and 9,000
hardbacks in my library which serves about 600 students.  We have fixed
scheduling for 6th grade and flexible for everyone else.  With 40-50
drop-ins every period, it is easier for the students to find books for
the reading program without very much help.

Hope that this helps.

Shirley Pirkle
Librarian
Gonzales Junior High School