My original request was:
> Can I get some statistics for Pre-k through 8th grade school libraries
> with populations between 300-500 that have computers?
>
> Number of students?
> Square footage of library?
> Number of workstations?
> Number of volumes?
> How recently built?
> What advice would you give about size of library related to number of kids
> and facilities you have?

Here are the responses to my questions regarding a school library which
served small populations (i.e. I'd hoped 400 and under, but posted all
recently and had not cheated bookspace for technology.  As you can see,
the results are not clear.  Let's hope that Information Power's revision
addresses the "myth" of no books/all technology, etc.
Debbie Abilock              "It is important that students bring a certain
The Nueva School            ragamuffin barefoot irreverence to their studies;
6565 Skyline Blvd.          they are not here to worship what is known,
Hillsborough, CA 94010      but to question it."  (Jacob Bronowski)

Date: Thu, 1 Aug 96 12:15 EDT
From: Philip Stohrer <pstohrer@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>
To: debbie@ace.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us
Subject: Re: TARGET> Library size
>Number of students?  702
>Square footage of library?  I'm not sure, I think about 1,200 + storage
space in back.
>Number of workstations?  9 student, 1 clerical and 1 for me.
>Number of volumes?  10,320
>How recently built?  1972
>What advice would you give about size of library related to number of
kids
>and facilities you have?  Just make sure you can accommodate     class
size
groups--overall student population doesn't affect the size until it is
very large but even a small school needs to accommodate   30+ students at
groups--overall student population doesn't affect the size until it is
very large but even a small school needs to accommodate   30+ students at
once.
--
Philip Stohrer
Portage West Middle School

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 16:18:48 -0600
From: Bill & Linda Welch <welch@cyberport.com>
To: 'Debbie Abilock' <debbie@ace.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject: FW: TARGET> Library size

Number of students?          525
Square footage of library?  3600 (could easily use another 1,000 sq. ft.)
Number of workstations?        4 (need four more)
Number of volumes?         8,345 (badly need another 2,500)
How recently built?        @35 years ago

What advice would you give about size of library related to number of kids
and facilities you have?
For school of @500 students.

The bigger, the better.  Seating room for 45 (absolute min.)- 65
students, if possible.  Room
for a reading corner, computer area, 3 foot between shelves (4 foot is
better), reference
area, multi-media area, storage, office, processing (with sink) area,
large equipment storage
area.

Books - 20 per student,  1/4 should be in reference section.  Books first!

Hope this helps you.  These are estimates based on 15 years experience as
a librarian
covering 7 schools.

Linda Hays Welch       Rio Vista Middle School
welch@cyberport.com
M.S.L.S., M.A. Ed.      1100 Rio Vista Lane             525 students,
grades 6 & 7
Librarian                 Bloomfield, NM  87413      33% Navajo, 33%
Hispanic, 31% Anglo
                          505/632-2212, ext. 109

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 18:34:55 -0500 (CDT)
From: Julie Walker <jawalker@tenet.edu>
To: Debbie Abilock <debbie@ace.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>

Debbie,

We only have one school of under 500 population (K-5).  We do not
differentiate size or number of computers based on student pop.  Our
elementaries go up to about 1,000 but most are in the 600-800 range.  For
the online system, we designate 4 student access stations plus at least 2
standalones.  Our ele. libraries are between 2,800 and 3,500 sq. ft.

Julie A. Walker                         District Media Center
Director, Library & Media Services      13401 Pond Springs Rd.
Round Rock ISD                          Austin, TX  78729
jawalker@tenet.edu                      512-331-6697/512-331-1811 (FAX)

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 08:39:05 -0700
From: Rosie Peasley <rpeasley@eusd.stan-co.k12.ca.us>

Number of students?  450
Square footage of library?about 2500
Number of workstations?22 in Information Center complex
Number of volumes?4,500
How recently built?2 years