I let all my students take books off the shelf.

I have had less trouble with books being misshelved by primary students
after telling them that books live in special places just like they (the
children) do. -- If the school bus driver  just put kids helter-skelter
into different house (with no telephones) think how hard it would be be for
your mom and dad to find you.  Its the same with books, they can't talk and
they don't have a phone either to say they are in the wrong place.  If they
forget where the book "lives" they can give it to me or put them in a pile
on the table.

Of course, my library still looks like children are using it, but it does
look better.

I've gotten quite a few parents who have come in and said that their
kindergartner/first grader came home and told them how the books live in
special places in the library, and their child was very serious about
making sure the book went to the right "home" or shelf.  They wondered if I
could figure out a way to make the kids as serious about picking up their
toys.

Nelda Brangwin
nelda@halcyon.com
Cherry Valley Elementary School