Dear LM_Netters:

Let me confess this one, as long as the traffic is slow...
When I first began "collecting" some 3+ years ago, I made these wonderful
binders with things sorted, much as DebbySue has suggested.  Due to a
variety of wonderful opportunities, such as giving workshops, joining
committees, becoming involved in curriculum development, I put the
binders on the shelves for a while.  Last summer I pulled them off, with
an idea of "using" the material and found, much to my chagrin that most
of it was obsolete and the rest of it was obvious.  Lesson?  The Internet
changed from UNIX-text-based to GUI... Lesson#2?  I learned to search
(and search engines were created) that allowed me to dump references....
Any others have this experience?

Currently, I work from a series of bookmarks and, when I am thinking
about a curriculum, an article or a workshop, I do a search for sites and
references.  How do others handle this?

Debbie Abilock              "It is important that students bring a certain
The Nueva School            ragamuffin barefoot irreverence to their studies;
6565 Skyline Blvd.          they are not here to worship what is known,
Hillsborough, CA 94010      but to question it."  (Jacob Bronowski)

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Dr. DebbySue Vandevender wrote:

>         First you must set priorities!
>
>         What is important?  What is "just sitting around?"
>
>         Next, acquire several manila folders (preferably in various
> colors).  Label each with a subject - e-mail, seminars, reviews, etc.
>
>         Using the same color within a subject break down the paperwork -
>                 example - e-mail
>                         including:  lists, addresses, instructions
>         Keep each item related to the "parent" in the same color folder.
>
>         Once broken into groups, become ruthless.  You know that you
> don't really ever plan to make that gingerbread house.  Get rid of the
> recipe.  If you are on too many listservers, "weed" the list.
>
>         Finally, if you have not looked at something in a long time, you
> don't want it.
>
>         Believe me, I speak from experience.  I am referred to as the
> "Champion Pack Rat."  I have improved but not enough.
>
>         Good luck!
>
> Debby Sue
>
> On Mon, 5 Aug 1996 13:57:54 -0400 Jean Schmuker <sschmuker@VOYAGER.NET>
> writes:
> >I am sitting in my home office surrounded by papers, books and
> >magazines
> >dealing with my K-12 Media positon.  I have put off organizing them
> >all
> >summer because it just seems too overwhelming.  If anyone has any
> >hints or
> >tips on how to organize this mass of stuff please help!  I'll leave
> >organizing my computer files for another day.  Also if you have any
> >ideas
> >about how to do the same at work for someone who has to work in two
> >school
> >buildings--only one of which I have an office, I would appreciate it.
> >TIA
> >

> >Jean Schmuker
> >K-12 Library Media
> >Coopersville Schools