Hi, group.
        We took a trip to Denmark this summer and went thru the
Frihedsmuseet (Resistance Museum) in Copenhagen.  It is a small museum
built in the shape of an O.  Several times a week, English language tours
are given (about 2 hours long!) which was excellent.
        During the guided tour, the guide was asked about the King of
Denmark wearing the Star of David when the Jews were required to wear
it.  His answer was amazing -- he said that this is a myth that is heard
in all parts of the world and is especially well-known in the USA, but is
simply not true.  The only thing that the King (Christian X) is credited
with doing is writing a letter to the rabbi of the principal synagogue in
Copenhagen expressing his sorrow upon hearing of the damage done to the
synagogue.  As a Danish American, it was the death of a favorite story.
As I recall, this legend is also part of the story in Number the Stars.

Another interesting point that was brought out was that it was the head
of the Danish Nazi Party (a Dane himself) who asked Hitler if it was not
time to gather up the Danish Jews and transport them to the camps.  He
was given the go-ahead.  Evidently (according to the guide), he began to
wonder if he could be as successful with this roundup as he needed to
be.  His was of self protection, was to make certain that the word of the
roundup was leaked to sources who would spread the word and warn the
Jews.  Then, as he was being called down by Hitler, he supposedly said
that well, the Jews were all out of Denmark and the purpose of the
roundup was to eliminate Jews from Denmark and that had happened.  He is
supposed to have said that when they would invade Sweden, they could just
get the Jews then. Wish I could remember all the details like names, etc.
but I believe I have the gist of this down correctly.
        Certainly puts a new light on the events of this period of Danish
history.  If you ever get to Copenhagen, check out this really
interesting museum.

Kaaren Linton                kaaren.linton@m.k12.ut.us

LM_NET Archive Home