Dear fellow netters,

Our latest challenge, inclusion of evolutionary theory in Biology
classes, seems to be attracting the attention of the media so here is the
situation, so far.  The high school student who issued the challenge is
appealing the superintendent's decision (following the committee's
recommendation) to keep the Biology textbook.  The student also
challenged the introductory two minutes of Nova's " The Miracle of Life"
video which via micophotography tracks human conception.  The
introductory part, however, states as fact rather than theory, the
beginning of life from a single celled organism, spawned in the priordial
sea.  The committee thought that the lack of any mention that this is the
prevailing scientific theory compromised the use of the video.  They
sought permission from the copyright holder, WGBH Educational Foundation,
to edit the introduction but were denied permission to do so.
Consequently, the video is being pulled, on the committee's
recommendation if copyright permission was denied.  Now it looks as if
some science teachers will appeal that decision.  So, we're in for some
interesting times.  The appeal process includes testimony before the
Board of Education who will utimately decide.  I'm wondering what the
latest discovery of possible lifeforms (single celled organisms) in a
Alaskan meteorite from Mars will do to this debate.  Fortunately there
are many resources, including you, who have contributed information on
all sides of the issue, and I am once again reminded that it is not that
we lack for information that we struggle, it is lack of critical analysis
and evaluation skills.

Will keep the net posted.

Roberta Ponis
Library Services Administrator