While I'm very much of two minds about whether adaptations of classics do
more harm than good, I'm still very impatient to give my "low" readers
something to read, and I want the year to begin with adventure fiction.

Do any of you have suggestions for good adaptations of some of the classics
like Treasure Island and Kidnapped? I did find some wonderful annotated
versions of classics under a series title called "The Whole Story." These
include many, many illustrations and sidebar notes about the various items
and customs of the time of the story--it really makes the story come alive,
but the text is unchanged from the classic version. I do still need
something easier, because there are students who just can't cope with that
reading level.

Gayle Hodur
ghodur@redshift.com

LM_NET Archive Home