I got some really great ideas for signs for the new Media Center.  I
haven't had a chance to explore all the possibilities but am looking
forward to finally getting moved in.  I had several inquiries about what
are "goodwrappers".  "GoodWrappers" are on different size rolls and they
are kind of like Saran Wrap but they are used in packaging.  They have
really been a life saver since we had to go from partial storage to
complete storage.  If the books were in boxes I would not be as optimistic
about getting set up again.  They have also provided great protection
against all the dust that they are being exposed to while construction is
being completed.
> I have made my own signage for 3 different media centers I have been a
> part of in the last 16 years.  I use Rubbermaid Contac vinyl and an
> opaque projector(or overhead) to create my own custom sized letters.  I
> have some sets of small stencil letters(1" 2" etc) and I enlarge them to
> the sizes I need.  Most recently, I have "shadowed" the letters to
> create a really nice effect.  And I have also curved the letters or
> swirled them when I put them up which is really eye-catching.
> For the ends of the stacks I have cut 2 inch numbers for labeling and
> included arrows.  Ex. 100 - 299 with a direction arrow
>                       300 - 425 with the other direction arrow

> There are several advantages to this type of signage
> 1 - Custom made exactly how you want them
> 2 - Colors - you can match with your color scheme
> 3 - Easy removal any time you want to change
> 4 - Looks like they've been painted on wall
> 5 - Much cheaper than buying lettering and signs
> 6 - The brand I use has never fallen down
> 7 - Students ask directions much less frequently for location of
> materials
>
> The only disadvantage I have found is that it IS time-consuming to draw
> and cut the letters/numbers and then to put them up.  I did most of the
> cutting at home in front of the TV.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ruth Rogers
> Battery Creek High School
> Beaufort, SC

I have made my own signage for 3 different media centers I have been a
part of in the last 16 years.  I use Rubbermaid Contac vinyl and an
opaque projector(or overhead) to create my own custom sized letters.  I
have some sets of small stencil letters(1" 2" etc) and I enlarge them to
the sizes I need.  Most recently, I have "shadowed" the letters to
create a really nice effect.  And I have also curved the letters or
swirled them when I put them up which is really eye-catching.
For the ends of the stacks I have cut 2 inch numbers for labeling and
included arrows.  Ex. 100 - 299 with a direction arrow
                      300 - 425 with the other direction arrow

There are several advantages to this type of signage
1 - Custom made exactly how you want them
2 - Colors - you can match with your color scheme
3 - Easy removal any time you want to change
4 - Looks like they've been painted on wall
5 - Much cheaper than buying lettering and signs
6 - The brand I use has never fallen down
7 - Students ask directions much less frequently for location of
materials

The only disadvantage I have found is that it IS time-consuming to draw
and cut the letters/numbers and then to put them up.  I did most of the
cutting at home in front of the TV.

Back to the signs that you asked about.  We have had very little budget
for the past few years due to levy failures.  So we made our own "area"
signs.  We bought a LARGE roll of heavy vinyl in maroon (one of our school
colors) and then we bought white vinyl and cut letters out of it.  We cut
the maroon large enough so that it could be doubled over...to make it two
sided, sewed a tube in the top for a dowel, and glued on the appropriate
letters.  The signs hang on fishing line from the ceiling over the
appropriate section.  I did these myself, mostly on my own time at home as
I had the time, however you might find a volunteer to help.  It was fairly
cheap, but time consuming.  Good luck.

Jackie Norris
South Kitsap High School
Port Orchard, WA
jnorris@linknet.kitsap.lib.wa.us

Frances, if you have access to the GAYLORD catalog they have some
banners that make great signage.  They are rather expensive ($50 and
up) so I am purchasing only a few each year.  So far I have one over
my ON-LINE catalog section, one above the circulationdesk that reads
CHECK-OUT, one to hang up over the RETURN area.  There are also some
available for:  REFERENCE, FICTION, NON-FICTION, EASY, STORYTIME AREA
(may not be the correct title), and more.

Good luck!

Tony Pope
McHenry Elementary School
100 McHenry Dr.
Rome, GA  30161

Frances, I think those large section signs are in Highsmith.  If you need
me to, I can get you Highsmith's 800 number.  They are the best
library supply source anyway.

Last year I purchased signs just last year for my media center.  I,
too, did not like the signage offered in catalogs.  So I visited a
local sign maker with the dimensions and what I wanted on the signs.
He made me a sample (from scraps) to take back to "live" with for
awhile.  He made design suggestions.  I had 4 signs made (Fiction,
Nonfiction, Encyclopedia, Biography) and the cost was just over
$300.00.  The signs are all 10" tall and vary in length from 3 feet to
10 feet.  The lettering is helvetica (8").  My district maintenance
department hung the signs on chain from the ceiling over the
appropriate areas.  I am very pleased with the results.
--
_/   Linda Slacum                _/

Frances W. Pickard      Pickarf@mail.firn.edu           (904)739-5200
Dupont Middle School