This is not a library problem, but I can't find the answers on the net and
I know someone out there can help.  I need to know how to find information
on when music can be legally copied.  I think I have stopped our choir
director from copying sheet in-print sheet music, but what about music that
is out-of-print?  I have always thought that you must obtain written
permission from the publisher even if the music you need is out-of-print.
Is this correct?  And when does music enter public domain?  Can you, for
example, copy without permission from an old hymnal published in 1940?  If
you could point me to a book which has this information, I could show it to
the powers that be to so they won't think I made all this up just to harass
the choir director.  TIA

Lynn Ward

Lynn Ward
Upper School Librarian