We had a wonderful party in New York at the annual conference --- and
states from all over the country were well-represented.  However, since
that grand July day our count has climbed higher!  As of August 12, 1996
23,033,587 books have been reported to the Count On Reading initiative.
Texas leads the way with almost 4 million books read in that great state!

If you have a current reading initiative going on in your school or
library, won't you send us your "count"?  Send the count to your state
coordinator or to Don Deweese at ddeweese@fps1.nwsc.k12.ar.us or to me at
hawleys@mail.firn.edu or to Margaret Lewis at mlewis@ala.org.  You may also call
the AASL office at 800-545.2433,
ext. 4389 for more information.

Count on Reading is a national initiative sponsored by AASL and is intended
to challenge our young to read a billion books by April, 1997.  Please help
us reach that goal --- and tell all of your friends about the program!

Suzy Hawley
hawleys@mail.firn.edu
Publicity Chair
Count on Reading