I'm a new lm_netter and this is a belated post regarding several queries  for
elementary level collection development tools  and ideas for 1st grade
picture books.  I'd like to recommend several sources which focus on
multicultural
collection development:
*Kruse and Horning, Multicultural Literature for Children &
  Young Adults, Cooperative Children's Book Center, Madison,
  3rd ed. 1991.  Call Wisc Dept of Publication 800-243-8782.
*The Black Experience in Children's Books, 1994, and Favorite
  Children's Books 1911-1986.  New York Public Library.
  Call Olga Oberman, 212-340-0897.
*Our Family, Our Friends, Our World.  Lyn Miller-Lachman,
  Bowker, 1991.  See also the MultiCultural Review, edited by
  the same author.
*Check out these web sites:
       Native American Books--http://indy 4.fdl.cc.mn.us/~isk
       Multicultural Book Reviews
       --http://www.isomedia.com/homes/jmele/homepage.html
       Fairrosa Cyber  Library
       --http://www.users.interport.net/~fairrosa
       Kay Vandergrift's Special Interest Page
       --http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/special/kayhp2.html
       Children's Literature WWW Page:
       --http://www.calgary.ca/~dkbrown/index.html

We all need to support resources like these so publishers will
view them as commercially viable and update them frequently.
The "mainstream" sources are not the best sources for finding
culturally authentic, positive, and non-stereotypical images of
children of color in high quality children's literature.

LM_NET Archive Home