LM_NET: Library Media Networking

>Can anyone recommend a series of books about careers (either circulating or
reference) that would be of interest to 5th and 6th graders?  I'm looking
for something as current as possible-- remember seeing something new at ALA
that I liked, but of course can't remember the publisher now!

I apologize for taking so long to post this hit for those of you who
requested it-- decided I was running out of summer and went on vacation!
The bad news is that more of us are looking for good, current, career
resources than have found them.

Vocational Biographies were recommended, and it may be possible to obtain a
sample from:
Vocational Biographies
PO Box 31
Sauk Centre, MN 56378-0031
1-800-255-0752

A couple people recommended what I think must be the "Choices" series from
Millbrook Press.  These are the ones with titles such as, "Careers for
Animal Lovers", "Careers for the Curious"...  The copyrights on these range
from 1990 to 1992.  They are aimed at grade 7 and up, are 64 pages each, and
sell for $14.90, or $4.95 in paperback.  There are 11 titles in Millbrook's
catalog.  Phone number: 1-800-462-4703.

I found, by looking throught their catalog, that UXL has 3 series of a set
called Career Connections.  Series one was published in 1993, series 2 in
1994, and series 3 in 1996.  They are $89.95 for each 6 volume series, or
$17.95 individually.  Sample titles:  "Great Careers for People Fascinated
by Government and Law", "Great Careers for People Who Like to Work with
their Hands", "Great Careers for People Concerned about the Environment"...
I have not actually seen these books, but I've been very pleased with
everything else I've ordered from UXL.  Their resources are geared for age
10 and up.  Their phone number is 1-800-877-GALE.

Lastly, their is VGM's Career Portraits series, copyright 1995, aimed at
grades 4-8.  There are 12 titles, which sell for $13.95 each-- about 96
pages.  Titles are:  Animals, Music, Sports, Teaching, Travel, Computers,
Nursing, Cars, Electronics, Fashion, Firefighting, and Writing.  Right now,
I'm leaning toward ordering this set (sight unseen).

We changed principals in August, and *none* of my book orders have been sent
out--just sitting in an empty office since June (sigh...), but if I ever
actually do get to order anything and find something that's really good,
I'll be sure to let you all know.  Thanks for your input!

Shayne Russell
Mt. Laurel Hartford School
Mt. Laurel, NJ
srussell@voicenet.com