Dear LM_NETTERS:

This is my first full year as an elementary librarian.  When I did my student
teacher the students only went half a day and couldn't check out books till
after the winter break.  In my current school, the kindergarten goes a full
day but not until September( we started Aug. 21st).  We only meet for 35
minutes and I though that I would have the students wait until the end of
the first quarter to have them check out.  I have lessons on book care and
book check out planned for this time (as well as stories).  My principal and
some teachers are a little upset about this because it has never been done
this way.  I would like some responses about the way you handle book check
out.  Any responses before Monday would be great.
Oh, the rest of the school has to wait until their third time in the library
to check out so we can review book checkout and learn how to find books in
this library.

MS JENNIFER L KAYSAK
Ashurst Elementary School (K-3)
Quantico Marine Base