Here is the hit on hispanic authors for high school.  The hit is in two parts.
Many thanks to all who contributed.

Rudolfo Anaya  Bless Me, Ultima  (received MANY mentions)
Gary Soto  A Summer Life, Living Up the Street,
and Baseball in April and Other Stories.

Sandra Cisneros, (who, incidentally, won't allow her stories to be
anthologized by publishers who use the word 'hispanic', preferring
'latino/a'- "The House on Mango
Street" or "Woman Hollering Creek
We have used Sandra Cisneros' The House on Mango Street with much
success in our inner-city high school in Houston, Texas.
The essays/vignettes are short, interesting, and motivating.
We use each piece as a springboard to personal writing.

Isabel Allende wrote _Paula_, a biography about her
daughter, but she has also written novels. Allende's House of the
Spirits  really delves into family relationships and political
oppression, but is very mystical.
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
You might also lr.  Or, for an early novel showing why he was
exiled for many years, his book about the military school in Lima -- I've
forgotten the title right now.

Hi. One of my favorite poets is Frederico Garcia Lorca. He wa from Spain and
actually lived in the US during the 20's. He was executed by a firing squad
duringthe Spanish Civili War  (by Franco's men, and he was very popular with
the people of Spain.. I do not know if you consider him as Hispanic, but he
is certainly worth reading and reading about.

LM_NET Archive Home