Thank you for all your suggestions.  Here's the compliled list!!

Last year the big favorite by a mile was Marc Brown's Arthur. One class
almost wore them out!

Margaret Hunt
Floyd Graham Elementary School
Grahamel@aug.mindspring.com

For ideas, try the professional book, Books Kids Will Sit Still For, also
More Books Kids Will Sit Still For. Great references to have!
--
Kathy Lafferty
klaffert@pen.k12.va.us

My grade one teachers have read, with great success, Konrad by Nostlinger,
Pippi Longstocking by Lindgren, Ramona the Pest by Cleary, Old Yeller by
Giff?, as well as the picture books. Hope the kids enjoy! Aloha, Linda.
<luchima@makani.k12.hi.us> X-Sender: luchima@makani

The Stories Julain Tells--and now Huey's too!
From: Judy Ermlick <ermlick@oberon.pps.pgh.pa.us>

My favorites are based on the P.B. Bear character. These books use rebus
pictures, and are great for storytime. P.B. Bear's Birthday Party and P.B.
Bear's Treasure Hunt are available at any bookstore that carries Dorling
Kindersley products. Additional titles based on the P.B. Bear character
will be released this fall.
DKbooks1@aol.com

You should be able to get the books of Robert Munsch down there. His books
are generally hilarious and based upon stories he had created when working
in a daycare centre, or when he has listened to children tell stories.

Other popular authors/titles with our grade ones are-- the Miss Nelson
books by Harry Allard
Frank Asch books-- not too many words to worry about in them the Berenstain
Bear series -- popular up to grade 4! Franklin the turtle books by Paulette
Bourgeois [another Canadian author] the Clifford books by Norman Bridwell
the Arthur books by Marc Brown
books by Eric Carle
rountree@MINET.gov.MB.CA (Brian Rountree)

Ira sleeps over
<barbarag@umd5.umd.edu>
Barbara Goldstein

Susan - Some of our favorites are Henry and Mudge books, The Library Dragon
(this one is great for the first library visit), Chrysanthemum, Frog and
Toad books, Amelia Bedelia books, We are best friends by Aliki, My Teacher
Sleeps in School, Four Fat Rats, all the old nursery tales - 3 bears, 3
pigs, 3 billy goats, etc., Wiley and the hairy man ( good for Halloween -
scary but not too scary), Lionni books, Old Black Fly, Stupids books and
Dumb Bunny books. The list is endless so I'll quit.
Judy Smith <jsmith@nwark.com>

Some of the books our first grade teachers have read to classes:
Charlotte's Web, any of the Beverly Cleary books, Judy Blume's Superfudge,
Fudge-A-Mania, etc.
There is a good deal of wonderful poetry. The kids love Shel Silverstein,
Jack Prelutsky, and other "naughty" poems. I like choral reading poems like
Joyful Noise.
We do a good deal of theme related units and so we find books on specific
topics: Wagtail and Minn of the Mississippi for ponds, Jack Tales and other
folk tale books, local history stories, etc.
"Jennifer M. Lyons" <jlyons@oswego.Oswego.EDU>

A terrific book for kindergartners and first graders is Officer Buckle and
Gloria. Kids love it. Barb Randolph
Barbara DeVries Randolph <wpreer@wam.umd.edu

 Jamie Boston <jamieb@wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us>
The Johanna Hurwitz books about Elisa and Russelll are great for first
grade. As old as they are, the Carolyn Hayword books are also popular with
my first grade teachers

fisherb@dexter.k12.mi.us (Bettie Fisher)
There is an old series by Betty McDonald about Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle that my
1st grade teachers use. I remember reading these as a kid myself, though
the teacher I recommended it to had never heard of them. The kids love
these. The first one is just called *Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle*. The others
include *Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic*, *Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm* plus, I'm
sure there are 1 or 2 more. Can't think of the titles now.

In the Rain With Baby Duck By Amy Hest. Illus by Jill Barton, Candlewick
Press.1995
Linda Sue York <lsyork@tenet.edu

Susan, if your grade-one teachers, and you, can get a copy of Story
Stretchers, they will never lack for great read-alouds. The book (and its
successors, More Story Stretchers, etc.) line out activities to do with
read-alouds, and it tells how to focus the kids before the reading, and
what to ask afterwards. It is readily available through book stores and
Perma-bound and Follette. It also serves as a great bibliography of books
that need to be on your shelves.
 Donna S Cook <dsc@tenet.edu>

I use the Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease as a tool for selecting
stories to read to students. I had very good luck with every story selected
from this source. The titles are listed by grade level and many include a
short summary.
Yvette Viger <ymviger@moose.ncia.net>

Some of the books I have read to 1st graders with great success are Roald
Dahl's The Enormous Crocodile; Chris Van Allsburg's Bad Day at River- bend
and Two Bad Ants; Rosemary Wells' Hazel's Amazing Mother; Rebecca
Emberley's Three Cool Kids [one of my personal favorites]. Oh, and David
McPhail's Mooney B. Finch, the Fastest Draw in the West; Tomie dePaola's
Strega Nona series. There are so many!
Hope this helps.
mrsulliv@seacoast.com (Marsha Sullivan)

There are a lot of wonderful read alouds published every year. But
encourage your teachers to remember:

Angus and the Ducks
The Story of Ping
Ferdinand the Bull
The Biggest Bear
Petunia
One Fine Day
The Funny Little Old Woman
Who's In Rabbit's House
Helen Seagraves Hcgraves@aol.com Hood River, OR

Our top 3:   Rebecca Caudill's "Did You Carry the Flag Today,
Charlie?"        Johanna Hurwitz's Russell series that begins with "Rip
Roaring Russell,"    and Ruth Gannett's classic "My Father's Dragon."
Kathy O'Neal
koneal@llohio.wviz.org

Try School Mouse, by Dick King-Smith.  I read it this summer and thought
it would be a good 1st grade read aloud because the mouse begins to read
in a kindergarten class and then moves into a 1st grade class to continue
learning to read.  Seems it would be on target for 1st graders learning
to read.
Sue Kimmel <skimmel@bgsm.edu>

Happy School Days!!
Susan

   Susan Fonseca-King                Darwin School (K-9, 400 students)
   Teacher-Librarian                 175 Darwin Street
   <kingjs@mts.net>                  Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
   Fax # (204)257-1605               R2M 4A9

LM_NET Archive Home