        My district is also doing LAN and WAN.  The plan is to allow
students access to the internet from any computer in the school.  After
having worked on the district AUP, I  believe the main purpose of an AUP is
to protect the district. You can try to police what students are doing on
the internet but without sitting with them there is NO WAY to be sure they
aren't into something questionable.  An AUP sets the rules for using the
internet.  It gives you authority to enforce the district policies.  In my
high school students have been trying to use the internet to download
programs.  The district policy doesn't permit this.  I can therefore tell a
student they can't do it, without getting into a hassle about what a stupid
rule it is.  I can simply tell them the policy is set by the district and I
am only enforcing it.  This can make dealing with high schoolers a lot
easier on me and my staff.
Barbara Gottlock
bgottlock@qed.net
Clarkstown South High School