Here are some ideas that came through for orientation:

How about a "relay race" for finding info on the computers?

Have your students used computers before?
A) No.
Make up 5 teams of students.
Have a sheet with about 10 questions on it. One at a time, across the
teams, ask the questions and students go to the computers and show you the
answer.
   e.g. Touch the monitor
         Lift up the mouse
         When do you turn the computer on?
Do not answer yes or no to what the students do.
Have columns beside the questions. Mark a check for each correct answer,
per team.
Mix up the questions as you go across the teams [the first person for each
team does not get the same question].
At the end go through the questions again, giving the correct answers.
Give a reward for the team with the most points.

B) Yes.
You could try the same, but have the students actually do things with the
computers.
  e.g. You could put a set of directions on a page in front of the computer
and each student does one step.
   Turn the computer on.
   Open ____ writing program.
  Type this sentence: "-----"
  Save the sentence as ----
   Quit the program.

Each team could use a different program [if you have them] and type a
different sentence

Here is just a thought.  How about breaking them up into teams where
each student would need to touch the keyboard at some point.  Create
a game of trivial pursuit or something like trivial pursuit.  Where
they will need to use the computers to find the answers.  For
example, Who wrote a particular book? or How many different
publishers have published a particular book?  The first team who has
completed the game wins something.

Joan,
When I have had to give instruction to that many students, I have found
that a peer tutor approach works well if hands on is needed.  I first
divide the students into groups then I take one group and give other
assignments to the other students (your scavenger hunt could work).  I give
the group I work with instruction on how to use the computer.  I do not
touch the computer myself but have the students follow my instructions.  We
do a search step by step.  Then I assign one of the students I worked with
to each of the other groups.  They in turn must instruct the other members
of their group.  They are not allowed to touch the computer again to
demonstrate, but must verbally guide each member of the group step by step
through the process.  I am free to move from group to group and observe the
students.  If I see inaccuracies or misinformation being disseminated I can
correct it.  Having the rule, that once you learn it you cannot touch the
computer again to teach it, has taken care of the problem of the people who
take over the computer or who can't keep their fingers off when they teach
others.  It may take more than one session to work with all students but
usually works well. I use this technique with other lessons as well.

I use a scavenger hunt that requires the students to answer some questions
usingthe computers, CD-ROMs, and electronic resources.  Because there are
numerous
questions to answer students can take turns answering the questions that
require them to use the electronic resources.  I find that this works well
and
everyone eventually has a chance to try out all the computers. (I have double
your number of work stations though so maybe this will still be a problem for

you.) Judy Jensen

LM_NET Archive Home