Jennifer,
Last year I posted the same question and was inundated with
conclusion I came to, however, is that it depends on several things.
The most discussed is your philosophy about how soon you should get
books in the kids' hands vs. the importance of teaching responsible
borrowing and book care.  The other part of it, though, is that the
populations of borrowers can be greatly different, and your ability
to maintain your collection will differ from others'.  So I believe
the answer is in finding the balancing point so that your losses are
tolerable and your promotion of books and reading is as high as you
can make it.  I tend to take the first 3 or so lessons to discuss the
concept of "borrowing" and book care before allowing kindergarteners
to check books out to the classroom.  They practice that until they
return a permission slip from home, and then I have a sticker system
to encourage them to earn the right to take two books at a time.
Ironically enough, I had some resistance from the K teachers for
allowing students to take so many books so soon!  But the sticker
system worked so well that everyone was happy.  I identify the "high
risk" students early and can give them extra help, while the
responsible borrowers can be off and running quickly.  Good luck with
setting your policy!
Beth McCheyne
K-6 Librarian
South Seneca Central School