The line you're looking for is from "Warning", by Jenny Joseph.

"When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me."

The poem goes for several stanzas and finishes with this,

"But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple."

I found this poem in a book titled, "When I am an old woman I shall wear
purple" edited by Sandra Haldeman Martz, copyright 1987 Papier-Mache
Press. Paperback ISBN 0-918949-16-5, Hardback ISBN 0-918949-16-5

                               David Fulton
                             109 Third Street
                            Liverpool, NY 13088
                          dhfulton@ericir.syr.edu
                             315-443-5445 Work

         "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."  Milton Berle

LM_NET Archive Home