I was surprised by your last question. Does a classroom teacher wonder
what to do the first couple of weeks of school(perhaps!!), and does she/he
have the liberty of NOT seeing students during that time period?
Perception is reality, and if librarians show that they are not needed at
the beginning or end of the school year, then it would seem reasonable to
cut back their service contracts by one month (2 at the beginning and 2
at the end). The first day of school can be and usually is too
hectic-registration/new students/class placements/etc. But why would you
not invite classes to your library that first week, to read to them or to
have them begin checking out materials? If you are in a situation where
your library is used for registration of new students/etc., then take the
library to the classroom!! Go out and read some stories during that first
week, to entice the students that there are more and even better books
INSIDE the library. The point is: Service should begin when the students
return, just as it does for classroom personnel.
Deborah Chaney
Coordinator for Library and Media Services
Birdville (TX)ISD
chaney@tenet.edu

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Jan Boling wrote:

> Thanks to all of you who have sent me such nice congratulations over the
> net... I didn't realize just how many of us musicians have defected over to
> LMS... it's great!
>
> First week is going well... I feel a little overwhelmed...
>
> Just wondering.... what do you all do the first couple weeks of school?
> When do you allow the students to start using the facility??
>
> TIA,
> Jan

LM_NET Archive Home