The Florida SUNLINK Project will be announcing its World Wide Web site
during the Florida Association for Media in Education Conference (FAME)
October 9-12.  SUNLINK is our state union database of school library
media holdings and contains the records of over 1200 public schools:
almost 900,000 unique titles and over 9 million holdings statewide.It is
currently distributed on CD-ROM (and will continue to be for the
forseeable future).  However, the World Wide Web version will increase
access to the database and make the project more visible to all.

The project is funded by the Florida Department of Education and
administered under a grant to the University of Central Florida.
SUNLINK is working with Brodart Automation of Pennsylvania to develop
the interface.  We are about to begin the final beta testing (July beta
testers were MOST enthusiastic!)  SUNLINK can be searched by author,
title, subject, keyword, format, location, language--or any combination
of these.

Watch LM_NET for the URL of the new SUNLINK on the World Wide Web on or
about October 10--or come on down to the FAME conference in Daytona
Beach!  Mike Eisenberg will be the keynote speaker!  There will be a
special LM_NET dessert after the grand opening of the exhibits on
Wednesday evening (thanks to Katie Bailey, a regular LM_NET
contributor).  And--in addition to all the "regular" conference sessions
and exhibits, SUNLINK is offering a special intensive "track" during the
conference, and there will be prizes for those who "cross the finish
line." (Hey, we'll be in Daytona!)  Training will include both hands on
sessions (installing SUNLINK, power searching, downloading MARC records)
and lecture demonstrations (overview, collection development,
cataloging, information skills and World Wide Web). There will be a
special SUNLINK video "gift" for all who attend the general session on
Thursday morning. And FIRN (Florida's state information network which
provides FREE internet accounts to all public school personnel) will
also be providing training including how to get high speed access, PPP
connections and software, etc.

For more information about SUNLINK, contact SUNLINK@mail.firn.edu.  We
can also put you in touch with FAME registration chair!  And
Rita....thanks for asking!  As you can tell, we're excited about
increased visibility for SUNLINK and increased access to Florida's
library media resources for Florida students and teachers.

Donna Baumbach
University of Central Florida
Orlando, FL  32816
baumbad@mail.firn.edu

  Rita McKillip wrote:

                Does anyone know if Texas or the Dallas School District
        has an online catalog that is accessible via the Internet
        like Oklahoma's?

LM_NET Archive Home