Barbara,

The decision was made nearly five years ago to use a tape back up system
and it works very well.  We have a Syquest 44MB tape drive with three
back up tapes which are rotated daily.  It takes less than 10 minutes at
the end of the day to back up the entire system with over 8500 entries
and a circulation log of 5 entries per student.

You now have the choice of buying a "zip" drive which is capapble of
storing 100MB for less than $200.  The newest MacZone catalog I have
lists the "zip" for 199.95 with a $50.00 manufacturers rebate.  The disks
are listed at 3 for $49.95.  When we originally purchased the Syquest,
disks were about $80.00 each.

We removed all borrowers cards and tossed them out as they were first
checked out.  Four years later we'll still find a few that the students
love to tear up and toss.

Last spring we decided we could part with the cards and so I started
giving them to teachers for students to use when taking notes.

Good luck,

Cathy Moore

LM_NET Archive Home