Just another slant on this "hot" topic:

In my school, I am not considered a classroom teacher. I am part of a
group of "support personnel", with the counselor, speech, etc. During the
first two weeks of school, we do not see students as we're setting up
schedules for them (or testing them--in their case).

I spend my two weeks processing everything that came into the school over
the summer & distributing it to classes (if necessary), setting up my
schedule, updating/adding over 600 student names & info into the computer (&
trying to get them in the right classes!), tracking down overdues from
the previous year, checking out class sets of books to teachers, & being
sure all the LMC equipment is in running order. I don't feel that by
demanding time to do this I am showing that I am indispensible to the
school. Quite the contrary. Most teachers are so used to seeing me run
around in 10 different directions during this time that they are in awe
of what I DO manage to accomplish.

I am also closed for the last 2 weeks of school to do inventory, which
involves accounting for 7500 items that I feel I am responsible for. I
have to turn in a final inventory sheet to my district supervisor
detailing all the lost/paid for/missing materials in the LMC.

*   Debbie Collier          Orange Grove Elementary  *
*   Librarian &             Houston, Texas           *
*   "Resourceress"          COLLIE@TENET.EDU         *