LM_Netters,

I am posting this to LM_NET at the request of Pat Denwall.  My thoughts are
with the librarians of Hawaii.

Barbara Herbert  <herbert@georgian.edu>
Georgian Court College
Lakewood, NJ  08701-2697

*********
Pat,

I have been reading, with great sadness, the posts regarding the situation in
Hawaii.  Although I normally disdain politics, I have done the following
things:

1) Sent emails to the president and president-elect of ALA as well as to the
editor of American Libraries.  I have asked for a thorough investigation of
this situation and a full report in American Libraries.  I forwarded copies of
the posts on LM_NET to them so they would see that this is not my imagination.
I did request that the names of any Hawaii librarians not be used for the
librarians' protection.  (I'm sure that you and/or the Hawaii librarians have
already done this, but I figured another voice from another library couldn't
hurt.)

2)  As president of the Library Association of Ocean County (NJ), I have to
write a "letter from the president" for our newsletter.  The letter for the
Dec. issue is a composite/summary of the posts I have read about Hawaii, and a
list of the various names/addresses/email addresses for those in power in case
any of our members decide to contact them.  I also said that the librarians
need our support, and anyone who wishes to send their support to the librarians
could do so by emailing you, and you would forward the messages to your
contacts in Hawaii.

You may forward this message to the Hawaiian librarians as my voice of support
for their plight.

Please keep the posts coming.

Thank you,

Barbara

Barbara Herbert  <herbert@georgian.edu>
Instructional Media Librarian                President, Library Association
Georgian Court College                       of Ocean County (NJ)
Lakewood, NJ 08701-2697

LM_NET Archive Home