Thanks to those of you who responded to my query re:  an old story about
"the book."  I didn't receive anything definitive but a few responses
agreed that it was probably this quote from Isaac Asimov (sorry, don't
know bibliographic information):

        WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE?
        If you could build a small package,
        small enough to carry in your coat pocket,
        a machine that would instantly start and stop,
        in which you can instantly
        reverse yourself or go forward,
        which would require no batteries or other energy source,
        which would provide you with
        full information on an entire civilization,

        A BOOK

Rosie Peasley
Coordinator, Library/Technology Services
Empire Union School District                   (209) 521-2800
116 N. McClure Road                     FAX: (209) 526-6421
Modesto, CA  95357                       rpeasley@eusd.stan-co.k12.ca.us

LM_NET Archive Home