Do you ever think that cashiering at K-Mart looks like a great job?  It's
been one of those days/weeks/years.  I spent a chunk of time last week and
a chunk of time over the Thanksgiving weekend preparing research lessons
for three totally different classes due in today.  I like doing the
planning, making the transparancies, deciding on strategies and
motivations.  Didn't mind doing that at all.

However, the first scheduled class this morning didn't show up.  Didn't
send a message.  Didn't send an apology.  Didn't send anything.  Not a
good way for me to start the day.

The second class showed up ready to do research on French provinces but
the teacher told *me* they were researching French *cities* --- so that's
what my transparancy said; that's what my lesson was designed for.

The third class, a very low 6th grade group, came as scheduled ready to
buckle down and work....bless their hearts!

I have had a growing number of teachers this year just fail to show up
even though they requested the research slots or the book selection slots.
Not only is this not fair to the other teachers who are begging for media
time, it is also unfair (and rude?) to me.  I do prepare for my classes.
When they don't show up on time we figure they'll be a little late so we
stand around or do all of those "interruptable" tasks not wanting
to get into anything too deep because they'll be here any minute.  I do
not go get the classes who do not show up because if the teacher doesn't
remember that he/she scheduled research time, the class can't be prepared
to do so. (right?)  I'm so frustrated and, though I try not to take it
personally, hurt.

The second problem, my being prepared for one thing and the teacher being
focused on something else, is, I believe, a result of poor communication
between the two of us.  (This has happened twice this year with a
different teacher each time) Unless the teacher can/will meet with me
after school it is nearly impossible for the wonderful planning,
brainstorming sessions that would make this all work so smoothly.  I have
just developed a form to request media resources/instruction that should
help solve this problem.

But what to do about the first?  I haven't run into this situation
before...have you?  Any suggestions?  During the past year I've read
the messages on LM_NET about images and wonder if that's what the real
problem is?  If I had a wall to do so I'd hang *all* my diplomas on
it:/  I'm on committees, volunteer for functions, eat w/staff the few
times when I can get coverage for the media center, try to always get the
staff the resources they need.  I really don't know what else to do.
I'm afraid I'm ready to do or say things I'll regret and I do not want to
do that.  Please send suggestions.
sarahl@ccpl.carr.lib.md.us

LM_NET Archive Home